Monday, January 5, 2015

Uvas

Feliz Año Nuevo!

     Not much actually happened this week, so I am just going to talk about New Year's. Woo! New Year's Eve porselyting time stopped at 6pm because nobody wants to meet with the missionaries after 6 on New Year's Eve and also because it was kind of dangerous. I have never seen more drunk people in my life and that was at 6 oclock walking home from an appointment. I'm pretty sure nobody was sobber and it wasn't even dark outside. Oh Spain.
     We went to a member's house but we were only allowed 3 hours in the member's house so in the awkward in between time we had free time! Non-pday free time! It was so exciting. We popped popcorn and sat on the couch and watched the Emma Smith movie. What a good time. Then we actually went the the member's at 9 oclock. The Monroy family. They actually live in our building (like 9 floors down) so we convientently missed the drunk street crowds.
     Then we had a nice tranquilla shrimp themed dinner. I am not a huge fan of shrimp, but Spain doesn't have to know that. I've never really eaten shrimp before coming to Spain so I am not really sure if this is a common thing but we had a Spanish shrimp cocktail which was shrimp, lettuce, and "la salsa rosa" (a mayonaisse(sp?) and ketchup mix) I felt like I was eating bigmac sauce with lettuce and shrimp. I just don't get it. But I geuss it wasn't that bad. And they had the typical Spanish supply of bread and green olives on the table also so I was happy.
     Then we sat around and talked and tried not to fall asleep until it was time to take the uvas! It is traditional in Spain to eat one grape for every second for the last twelve seconds of the year. That is twelve grapes in twelve seconds. A feat that I successfully accomplished.
     Then we were commanded ir directamente a casa. And so we went. We watched fireworks from our window. There are some perks to being on the 11th floor.
     All and all a great way to start off the new year.
     A year ago today I was set apart as a missionary. Weird. It feels like it hasn't even been a day and like it has been an entire lifetime at the same time. Just weird. I love what I am doing. I love being a missionary. This truly is the Lord's work.
Well. Happy New year everyone! Make it a good one!
Love
Hermana Hannah Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment