Monday, September 29, 2014

Aío, Hia, Aío

¡Hola!
     So Cádiz is a blast. Literally everyone just loves us. They are a very warm people here.
Remember when I would make fun of the accent in Granada?
Me in front of the ocean
Well, here it is the same but ten times more pronounced and they talk ten times faster and have their own vocabulary. Instead of Adios it is Aío. Andalucia (the southern province of Spain) has its own phrase, "Que hay?" which is another way of saying "What's up?" I heard it every once in a while in Granada but it's the go to saying here and instead it comes out more like "¿Kaí?"
Cadiz: Isn't it adorable?
     A member this week told me that she liked me because I have a face of Pillina (by theway their ll sounds more like the Argentina ll) and I had never heard that word before so I went home and looked it up. Not in the dictionary. So I asked someone else and apparently it is like the Gaditana way of saying mischeif. You learn something new everyday. This really is an awesome city.
   
The Mar
 Saturday was my birthday! Woohoo! 20 years. We decided to plan a small activity with a few members. Hna Volpe is Italian so therefore she makes great pizza and so that is what the activity was: her teaching everyone how to make pizza. I didn't really tell anyone it was my birthday but somehow they all found out and a ton of more people came than was expected and they brought like three different cakes and a ton of food. They all chipped in and bought me a really fancy journal. I have only been here like a week and a half. I haven't learned anyones names yet, but I love them all.
   
Hna Volpe is great. She makes me delicious Italian food like every day, so of course I like her. We speak Spanish most of the time, but she really wants to learn English so when I remember I speak English when we are in our piso. We both need to learn Spanish so it's our go to language.
The view from our piso. You can see the ocean in the distance.
Me, Hermana Volpe, and a member. People are so nice here!
     Hna Parrilla called me for my birthday and I anserwed the phone in Spanish because I didn't know who was calling and so we just kept talking in Spanish and about halfway through the conversatoin  she realized it and she was like "You understand me!" I didn't even notice. It's weird how fast time has passed.
Arroz con Leche. Normally a plate
this size is enough for a family of four!
     Sunday, I gave a real talk to a real ward. The ward is big and self functioning. It's beautiful. I translated during Relief Society for a German lady. She knows English but not Spanish. She asked me to and I was terrified and I told her I didn't know if I actually would be able to and she asked me if I could just kind of give her the main subjects. But then I did it and I did fine enough. It was actually a pretty good lesson too. I haven't had Relief Society in a long time and I appreciate it more now.
This week we have Tri Zone Conference in Sevilla. That's pretty exciting.
So yeah, until next week!




Beso!
Hermana Hannah Ashby

Hannah said she was super behind on pictures, so sent a bunch this week! Most of these are from Puertollano

Last Sunday in Puertollano. Kind of a random group of people. Including are our one and only real investigator to ever come to church. Had to be our last Sunday.

Presidente and Hermana Montes

Two of their sons

Ramona y familia

They dumped water on us on pday. Alicia Montes took this picture. Sghe wanted to make sure the door got in the picture so that i wouldn´t forget where she lived. Number 20, Granados

Rosa and Raul. Rosa has been inactive for like 25 years now and her son is 9. They gave me a soccer jersey.

The sun setting on my last day in Puertollano

Fernando y Perla

Fernando(padre) and a small fraction of his familia. Most frustrating family in the world. But I love them all.



The Hermanas of La Mancha

Belen and Sabrin. They gave me a pair of shoes

Antonia and her son Demetrio. They were some of our red zone miracles.







No comments:

Post a Comment